What for? I dunno, long ago I needed it for my job, and now I keep doing it. It allows me to know which asshole sold their data to spammers or which company has so bad security that they got hacked.
The latest scenario:
I am registered in a online game shop. You might know it: gamehubs. so I registered there with gamehubs@mydomain.com
Lately I have been receiving news letters from another game shop called gamepointexpress.com to the same email address.
So, I wrote to gamehubs if they sold their database or what happened and they actually responded telling me that their email server had been hacked a while ago and that they would not sell their database and much less to a competitor.
Ok, the story would have ended there... but it didn't. I went to my inbox, the latest email received by gamepointexpress.com and looked at the bottom of the email:
"Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy." and a link to unsubscribe.
SafeUnsubscribe sounded familiar, so I pressed the unregister link and was redirected to a simple form that allowed me to unsubscribe and to give a reason.
And now the big surprise... when I pressed OK on that form, I was presented with a confirmation page with this text at the bottom:
"Gamehubs uses SafeUnsubscribe which guarantees the permanent removal of your email address from its mailing lists. "
WTF?
This obviously prooves that gamehubs didn't get their mail server hacked at all. it is a complete LIE! They didn't sell their database to someone either... they just created a new company and used their database to start spamming.
now the question is... why do they create a new company to sell something they already sell at their main web, but cheaper?

No comments:
Post a Comment